GG Freightways (GGFRT) IT Strategic Plan, Part 1
Before you begin this assignment, be sure you have read the “GG Freightways Case Study” and all the course content from Weeks 1 and 2.
Purpose of this Assignment
This assignment gives you the opportunity to apply the course concepts to begin development of an Information Technology Strategic Plan (ITSP) to support the strategic direction of GG Freightways (GGFRT). This assignment specifically addresses the following course outcomes to enable you to:
- identify, define, and explain the concepts of information technology governance and management
IT Strategic Plan for GG Freightways
Lance, the new CIO at GGFRT, has asked you to write an IT Strategic Plan that she can use to guide the direction for her organization. The ITSP will be developed in two parts. This assignment covers Part 1; Part 2 will be covered in the next class assignment. Together, they will form an ITSP that has been tailored to the course material covered in this class. You may work for an organization that has an ITSP, and it would be a good idea for you to look at it, but it will likely be structured a little differently from this one. Each organization develops an ITSP that will work for them.
You will develop Part 1 of the ITSP for GG Freightways (GGFRT), using the outline below. Each of the topics to be included in your outline is covered in the course content readings assigned thus far. In addition to the course materials, at least two external resources (resource other than those provided in the class) must be used. Two or more cited references will earn top credit. Use a separate References page to list just the references you have cited.Remember to use the APA formatting rules and correctly cite and reference your sources with APA format. Use the Grading Rubric to be sure you have covered everything.
Please use this outline to build your IT Strategic Plan. Use the numbering and headings shown below.
- Business Statement – Summarize in one paragraph, in your own words, the business of GGFRT. Include the location of the company/terminals, fleet information/details, and current/future financial climate/goals (with cost savings). Refer to Case Study.
- Business Strategic Objectives – In the Case Study, the management team has identified three (3) new strategic objectives. Using the following table (copy/paste it into your assignment), List/number the three (3) objectives, then, in your own words, add a brief explanation to each one. Next add a new strategic objective of your own – one that you consider important to the current and future health of GGFRT’s business. In the explanation, it should be a statement of how the management team would improve the business of GGFRT. It can be one of the three federal/state regulations that the company wants to remain in compliance with, or a new one that you choose. Write a brief introductory paragraph prior to the table. The paragraph must come first before your table, to explain what the table is providing.
- IT Vision and IT Mission Statements – Write two short paragraphs with separate IT vision and IT mission statements for the Information Technology Department at GGFRT. Label one “IT Mission Statement:” and one “IT Vision Statement:”. The format should be:
- IT Mission Statement: (explanation)
- IT Vision Statement: (explanation)
- Governance – Using the course content materials and the case study, describe, following the format below for each section, how the IT governance process should work for GGFRT. Lance wants to engage the other senior leaders, so include:
- Inventory of Current IT Systems – Using the information in the Case Study, you will use the table provided to describe the current systems in use (not the systems being planned or in process of being completed) and the IT resources allocated to their support. Copy and complete the table below, creating additional rows as needed to cover all current systems at GGFRT (if needed), then write a brief introductory paragraph prior to the table. The paragraph must come first before your table, to explain what the table is providing.
The format below should be used for the presentation of this section:
|Business Strategic Objective||State the Objective (from the case study)||Explanation (in your own words; for the new objective, incorporate how the management team would use it to improve the business of GGFRT:|
|4 (new objective)|
Use what you learn from the case study to create your own idea for the IT vision statement (future IT goals); and use the case study situation at GGFRT to write the IT mission statement for the IT department (current IT goals).
Refer to the course materials on mission and vision, particularly the reading on “Creating a Future Vision for the Chief Information Officer”. If you need help on a mission statement, do a little research on the web; you will find many examples of IT mission statements.
- who the participants are,
- what each of their roles are on the governance board (why each is a member of the governance body, not their general roles in the company),
- what specific governance methodology should be established/justification (i.e. COBIT, ITIL, etc.; documents in various weeks’ content),
- what responsibilities the governance body would have, and
- how they would prioritize IT projects (prioritization tool, criteria that is being considered for determining project importance)
Refer to the course materials on governance and you should supplement those documents with external research. IT Governance methodologies are covered in Week 5’s course content.
|Strategic Goal aligned to||Business Unit/
|Business Benefits||IT spring ‘19 Resources (people, equipment)|
The “right” and “wrong” answers should do with if you correctly incorporated the course concepts from the course content materials and addressed all parts of the assignment. The content of the mission and vision statements you create is not as important as that it makes sense considering the course content and the Case Study.